Monday, June 2, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance

When I was little one of my favorite things to do was go on road trips with my mi maw and pi paw....the cool thing about it was they had an RV, so basically it was like being in a moving house.....I had LOTS (well not LOTS) of room to move about....I could almost do a cartwheel if I was careful enough.







Mind you, this was in the late 70's early 80's when there were no cassette tape players or CD players so if we wanted to listen to some jams we would have to bust out Mi maws eight track player!!!!





There was this one eight track tape that I would make my Mi maw play over and over.....I don't remember the Title of the Tape but it was a compilation of several popular songs, my favorite being "The Ballerina Dancer" . Here is a You Tube Video of the song, listen to it because I'm sure it will bring back memories for many women!!!








Anyway, I don't quite remember there ever being a particular time where I saw a ballerina or dancer on TV and thought "hmmm, this is what i want to be" It was almost as if it was in my blood in my DNA.....I was meant to dance, or at least have a passion for it. Immediately when i heard this song I put my lil arms in fifth position (in a circle above my head) and turned round right round baby right round, like a record baby...oops, that's the 80's music in me....sorry....anyway i turned round and round and round. So as most parents do, soon after I was enrolled in classes....I took at various Dance Studios, but it did matter because if i wasn't taking class somewhere, I was watching /recording someone dancing on TV and then playing it back so as to learn the moves..... i will occasionally still do that.


Anyway, so when "So You Think You Can Dance" premiered 4 years ago, I was HOOKED!!! I'm not really in to watching the audition process, sometimes....rarely I will, and sometimes I can't help but laugh. But just like American Idol, it upsets me to watch them crush ones dreams, or confidence just to acquire ratings, it is disgusting to me how they will tear someone down with their words. But I love when they have come to the top 20 dancers....10 men/ 10 women from all different backgrounds of dance. They basically have them learn and perform with a partner the various styles, and then America votes.


Now I have danced all my life, when I joined Dance Team the summer before my sophomore year in High School they had just started introducing a style of dance called "contemporary" or "modern" I WAS NOT a fan. Number one it is the most difficult style of dance I have EVER attempted, and sometimes (and this was then) I thought they looked a bit like they had torettes (spelling??) syndrome. This is because you sometimes have to throw yourself across the dance floor....literally!! I always had a difficult time at it, I didn't get it......truth be told i quit dance team my senior year because the sponsor we had was ALL ABOUT IT!!!(I had a few other reasons for quiting, but mainly this) She even tried to get us to do it on the field if i remember correctly......"UH aren't we supposed to entertain the crowd, not put them to sleep" I thought. I have taught on and off for years at "Jo ann Neal Dance Studio" and would even avoid teaching a class that was anything close to contemporary, cause I could'nt stand it.


As time went on, and as I got to know this particular style, I started to "get it" Contemporary Dance is ALL ABOUT emotion, it is dancing your heart out.....when you walk off that floor, it is left behind.....watching this show has awakened this passion inside of me....because it proves the above statement is true....sometimes the judges are left speechless.....but not tearless!!!


I wanted to post a few of my favorite moments over the past few years.....I ask if you do not understand or "get" this style of dance, that you watch with an open heart....pretend the dancers are telling a story with their bodies....if you do that, you will not have dry eyes.....I promise!!!


Enjoy!!! If you are going to watch any of these videos please scroll to the bottom of my page and press pause so you dont have to hear my music on top of the videos music!!! And the audience screaming can get pretty annoying, just ignore :)!!!











4 comments:

Missy said...

Hey Staci, I saw your link on the SITS website...your blog is adorable! I loooove this post and I too am obsessed with So You Think You Can Dance. And yes, I do think I can dance...in the grocery store, at work, in my back yard... I was dying when you said that contemporary dance looked like tourettes - hilarious, and so true! I took lessons and did competitions for-EVER and they called it "lyrical" in my neck of the woods growing up. I still do my own rendition of lyrical moves to any song that comes on the radio - my husband thinks it is particularly fun when I do lyrical to Motley Crue or Akon. And the clip of Music Box Dancer...so right that a whole generation of girls will remember it. My G'pa sent that song on a tape for me because we lived several states away. Thanks for bringing back some sweet memories!

tinabean1988 said...

Hi my name is Tina I found your blog through SITS.
I totally agree with you on the dancing.
I love the ones that give you the chills & leave you breathless.
My sister (in-law) is a dance teacher also, she used to coach a high school drill team but recently quit to open up her own dance studio.
It's an adult dance studio, she is killing it there are so many women taking her classes & loving it.
Me I have no rhythm what so ever. But I do love to watch & appreciate.

Kat said...

I too found you through SITS. But I so cannot dance. Not one bit. Worse than Elaine on Seinfeld. My children seem to have inherited this gene...but it doesn't stop them from trying. They love SYTYCD...and they dance along with the show...it is a site to be seen. Or not. :-)

Heather said...

Oh my stars...the first one and the last one got me all twitterpated. I would loooooove to dance like that.