Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Wall Art Fun!!

Okay Ive had several comments about how to make the wall art that i posted in the previous post so i will share the wealth!!! Lol

I must admit though this is NOT my creation, it is my friend Shannon's she is a fellow blog designer, and she is also very crafty!! I figured i would make a go at it and see if i could make it look as good as hers.

She did not however add a picture to hers....so i guess i am slightly crafty....okay I'm REALLY crafty, I'm just trying to be modest....its not working!! ;)

Here are the steps from her blog.....

Supplies:
Canvas
Scrapbook Paper (the thicker papers work best but I used the thinner ones too)
Modge Podge (I used matte finish, but they have gloss as well)
Sponge Brush (about 1-2 inches wide)
Acrylic Craft Paint (little bottles at the craft store)
Hair Dryer
Scissors/paper cutter


I bought store made canvases at a craft store. The canvases I bought were about 2" thick and they were 8x8. Canvases come in all sorts of sizes. I used the 8x8 because of the space I was filling, but I think 12x12 would be awesome too! (and then you wouldn't even have to cut the paper down!) I painted the sides of the canvas a dark brown.

Then I picked out scrapbook paper that I liked and that matched the decor and colors I was looking for. Next I trimmed the papers down to fit on the 8x8 canvas.

Then with my modge podge and sponge brush in hand I began to put it all together. Using the sponge brush I coated the face of the canvas with modge podge, placed the paper on top and pressed down firmly everywhere to make sure that it stuck.

Let this dry for about 5 minutes. Next, using the sponge brush, I put a thin layer of modge podge on the paper. (make sure you cover it completely) I also put a layer of modge podge on the sides over the paint as well. As it dries the paper may begin to wrinkle or bubble a bit. That's where your handy dandy hair dryer comes in! Once your piece is no longer sticky to the touch, use your hair dryer to blast the bubbles and wrinkles with heat and smooth them down with your fingers at the same time. (it gets a little hot!)

That's it! Pretty easy! New art for your walls! Now go get craftin'!!

Just so yall know I (Staci) bought 12x 12 canvases at Michael's for like 4 bucks a piece (they are originally 6 but go on sale frequently)

After I let the modge podge and paper dry then i modgepodged the back of the 5x7 picture I had and placed it in the center of the canvas.

Then I modge podged the front of it and dried it with the hair dryer just the same as the paper.

Then with sticky ribbon (by Martha stewart) I lined the picture and modge podged that as well and WHA LA!!!It was a MODGE PODGE party people!!!

Oh and make sure that even if you get a 12x 12 piece of paper AND canvas that you STILL trim the edges......cause sometimes paper makers get overexcited and don't measure correctly!!!

Have fun, and comment with a link if you do one....I've got more to do this week!!

Thanks to Shannon for her fab idea!!

6 comments:

THE Stephanie said...

Seriously. WHAT THE HECK IS MODGE PODGE???? I mean, c'mon Staci!! You know I'm about as crafty as a #2 pencil!! Help a sista out!

And you put it on the front?? What the?

This is clearly going to be a two person BFF project. I'm off the week after Christmas. The whole week. We may need it. I'll only but one canvas. I don't think we'll have time for two.

Hipmomofboyz said...

Very cute....

Heather said...

I love me some Modge Podge. I wish they sold it by the bucket.

WheresMyAngels said...

I didn't know about Modge Podge until Chritie at the Pretty Paper Blog introduced me to it. I've got like gallons of it now.

THE Stephanie said...

Sheesh... all you guys and your Modge Podge.

That's it Staci. Saturday, it's on. I'm makin' a list of everything you've been holding out on me. Forever 21, Modge Podge, and there was something else... what was it???

littleeverydaythings said...

Thanks so much for sharing these instructions - I can't wait to give it a try! Although, whenever I use Modge Podge I get the urge to use it on everything ;D ...step away from the MP!