Thursday, January 15, 2009

Righteousness

I'm trying not to ignore the Lords call that I speak to you all about Righteousness today....but then the pain in my arse (literally) has overshadowed that call for the last few days and caused me to feel lazy, its no excuse i know....but as is everyone else, my new years rez was to get back into shape and darned if i don't feel it!!!

Today I laughed out loud as i did the "Hip Abduction" machine...shooooot I hope it abducts my hips....that would be SUPER!!! I think that made my uncomfortable work out more uncomfortable, as if there weren't enough people staring at me as I tried to shove my inner thighs together (as weak as they are) against resistance, then i had to read that and laugh out loud.... I'm sure all those buff bodied people thought i was nuts!!

Anyway back to what matters,

When I used to hear the word "Righteous" i normally pictured someone "self righteous"....unless of course I was thinking of Jesus....I don't know why i did that, but its rare that I felt i could find an individual that had that trait without being a little OVERLY confident. KWIM?? (for those of you who don't know txt message lingo that means "know what i mean" and don't feel stupid...i only recently learned this ;) ) Anyway, until recently this word was sorta ugly to me.....until of course the Man upstairs taught me what real righteousness is........

I present you with the story of the tax collector and the pharisee....

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector Luke chap 18: 9-14
9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable:

10
"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed about[a] himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

13"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

14"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."


In other words the one who hated who he had become, who was ashamed of how he acted, the one who was HONEST before God about his sin, HE was the the one who went home justified before God.

This amazes me.

It reminds me that the Lord understands, that he understood that we are not and never will be perfect. We were BORN into this life, into sin......and he saved us from it.

Please dont misunderstand, im not trying to justify my sin, or say that anything that I have done is right, or use Jesus as a safety net. Im just saying that "Righteousness" before the Lord is not perfection before the Lord.......it is being humble, being honest about your struggles and relying on HIM to help you overcome.

Im tired people, im tired of pretending that my life is easy or perfect......its not. AND it never will be......and you know what, neither is YOURS!

God never asked us to pretend as Christians......so why do we?? When we do that, we lie.....and we cause others pain when our true hearts are revealed. If you look within Gods word, you will see that God uses those who have sinned, those who are broken, to bring others to himself.

Look at Paul, who used to be Saul......Look at King David, who commits adultery........and then sends her husband to his death.....did we not learn from his mistakes??? Did God not love him still??? Im just sayin......

I digress......

I want to challenge you today, to be righteous before the Lord....to be like the tax collector and hate your sin, to beat your chest before your Father and cryout for his help.

But my friends, do not hide it. Do not feel unworthy. The Lord LOVES you STILL, and longs to wipe the slate clean......even if he has to a million times.......

7 comments:

Grand Pooba said...

Wow. Very inspiring! Especially because I'm a big ol' sinner!

Rachel said...

I used to wonder this all the time as a kid; how come he keeps forgiving us.

Great post!

Debra said...

Staci,

The feeling of unworthiness always crept over me until one day the Lord spoke to me and said that is how the enemy sees you...I see you as so worthy that I died for you. That gave me the ability to approach Him with such a humility and thankfulness.

Not worthy...but worthy to Him. I hear ya...that's what I'm tryin to say.

Hugs to you!

mama's smitten said...

I just wanted to take the time to let you know that I have just recently come upon your blog. Your blog and a few others have inspired me to start one of my own. I want to thank because your words are hitting so close to home. I am at the beginning of my REAL spiritual journey. I feel amazing!!! But I am afraid of losing this feeling. Your words comforted me.Yes this world is hard to live in and it's okay to admit. It's part of the journey.

Sharon M said...

I was recently inspired in this same area after reading The Shack. Don't know if you're a big reader, but you might enjoy it. I know it was fairly controversial among evangelicals in the US, but our book club here really liked it.

Staci said...

yep sharon i read it, and i LOVED it...it was a while back but it inspired me for sure!!! where did your blog go???

Staci said...

yep sharon i read it, and i LOVED it...it was a while back but it inspired me for sure!!! where did your blog go???