Thursday, March 5, 2009

Oprah actually appeared this afternoon....

I was both very intrigued and disturbed when i saw a story about a young child named Danielle on the Oprah show.....im convinced Oprah has been kid napped from Harpo Studios because as of late i haven't been able to watch a second of her show because of all her new age segments (im not judging....im just sayin its not for me)



Anyway, apparently the old Oprah made a cameo and began to talk about an issue that tears in to the very core of my heart.



Child abuse.



Thank you Oprah for stepin back in to reality for a moment so that you could break my heart.



This particular segment was on child neglect. This beautiful 6 year old (now 9) child was rescued from an unbearable situation.



She was 6 and could not talk,



she could not feed herself,



she wore a diaper and she was covered in insect bites from head to toe.



And as if that weren't bad enough, she was so neglected, so alone, that she rocked back and forth back and forth, like a elephant in captivity.





Now i know i said "intrigued" so let me explain


what was so interesting to me was this picture...



The picture on the left is a picture of a healthy normal child who has been loved.


The picture on the right is a picture of a child who was severely neglected.



Can you see the scars this unloved child has had to bare? There are HOLES in this child's brain that could be filled with knowledge, with love. Not to mention it is MUCH smaller than the other.



Here is something else the Dr. said that was interesting



As you grow, the brain is essentially like a sponge," Dr. Perry says. "It's absorbing all kinds of experiences. So if a child is not held, touched, talked to, interacted with, loved, literally neurons do not make those connections, and many of them actually will die."


It is not surprising to me, since God created us to be relational beings....he created eve from Adam because He knew Adam NEEDED to be loved.....and this proves it.

The other thing that doesn't surprise me is that i asked for this.... you see one of my favorite praise songs is "hosanna" by hillsong united. If you haven't heard this song you must....in fact ill go ahead and play it for you on my play list....but one of the lines in the song says



Heal my heart and make it clean


Open up my eyes to the things unseen


Show me how to love like You have loved me


Break my heart for what breaks Yours


Everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause


As I walk from earth into eternity


I sang this incredibly loud in the car the other day, i prayed afterwards that God WOULD break my heart for what breaks His....

"show me how to love like you Lord"

So, my eyes have been opened....and he has broken my heart for what breaks his....and he has shown me how to love like he has loved me.


How?? Because the good news is this precious child was rescued and adopted by a VERY loving family who already had five other children. It has taken alot of patience i am sure to teach this child how to function but she is making progress.

She is now potty trained, she is also feeding herself. But there are times when they know she is taken back to that very dark place she once was.....she sometimes still rocks very violently.

My heart is broken for Danielle and the many many other innocent victims unnamed. Please join me in lifting her up in prayer.....that is one way you can love like HE has loved you.


For more information on Danielle's story visit http://www.oprah.com/



12 comments:

Tiffany Crawford said...

It's why I do what I do!! :)

Tiffany Crawford said...

It's why I do what I do!! :)

daniella said...

I too have stopped watching Oprah because she's gone all crazy and new agey on us all (poor soul needs JESUS!), but I did happen to watch this episode as well. After getting over the initial shock I started crying. What a broken world we live in. How badly we all NEED unconditional love, both from our human loves and our TRUE Love that created us and then died for us. It's more than a want, but a serious need. I guess you really could die from a broken heart.

Definitely made me go hug and squeeze my Chuck and tell her just how much I love her.

Lori said...

What a sad story.

drollgirl said...

that is so sad. i wish we could all just go out and hug and squeeze that poor little girl and make it all better.

drollgirl said...

that is so sad. i wish we could all go and hug and squeeze that poor little girl and make it all better.

Rosie and Derek said...

I don't watch Oprah on a regular basis but I saw this show too and it just broke my heart! It's hard to believe that someone could do that to a child!
I hugged my kids tight that night and thanked God for the opportunity to be a mother.

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my goodness, I have heard about Danielle before and couldn't believe it! There are no words, it's just horrible!

kelly said...

Thank you for sharing this. It breaks my heart to hear about helpless children neglected and just hopeless.

If you remember earlier in my blog about the brit spears raffle tickets and my friend who helps abused children.. she emailed me the other day and said i know times are tough for everyone but she has an upcoming event if i would donate... stories like this is why i still donate. ive witness first hand the pain these children go through.

thank you again for sharing
xo
Kelly

...love Maegan said...

so sad ...how on earth do people allow this to happen? Go Oprah!

bethany said...

Wow...I don't watch Oprah anymore for some of the same reasons that you stated. But I probably would have been impacted by this story had I seen it.
It is so hard to understand the will of God in these situations but I trust in his sovreignty and am so glad that Danielle was rescued from such an abusive situation. I will most definately be praying for her! Precious baby.

Ps. I think that you and Jayson (probably spelled wrong..sorry) should drive out the Ca. this summer! It really is beautiful and there is lots to do!!!

Theresa said...

I haven't watched Oprah in years because of my schedule but I'm kind of glad she's searching for spirituality...let's pray that she's not satified until she experiences the truth of God's love.